Body and Soul: A Package Deal by Dave Wilson with Jerry Newman
Jerry describes himself as a ‘semi-retired’ businessman. He is currently serving as the Team Leader for one of Trinity’s short-term mission teams and is also the Chairman of the Board for a local non-profit here in Redlands.
Jesus issues some very strong language when He describes what it will be like to be one of His disciples. The first part of this passage is exciting and powerful for followers of our Lord. They see people healed miraculously, a storm that is calmed by His words alone, demons are cast out, and they are taught profound truths by someone with much authority. He shows power over sickness, nature and the ability to forgive sin. He consistently cared for both the body and the soul of all whom He encountered. After all of this blessing, comes words of warning because Jesus knows that persecution will come. He says things like:
- “Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves…” (Matthew 10:16)
- “…you will be hated by all for my name’s sake” (Matthew 10:22)
- “When (emphasis mine) they persecute you…” (Matthew 10:23)
Following the warnings, which were meant to prepare the mind and body, Jesus brings comfort and strength to the soul and spirit of His disciples. He assures them by saying:
- “… do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say, for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour.” (Matthew 10:19)
- “So have no fear of them, for nothing is covered that will not be revealed” (Matthew 10:26)
- “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.” (Matthew 10:28)
Centuries later, Jesus is still sending His disciples out to serve the physical needs of people and provide words of hope and assurance to their souls in other lands. Jerry and others at Trinity Church have heard the Lord’s call on their lives. They understand the cost of being a disciple, but they rest in knowing that “…whoever loses his life for my [Jesus] sake will find it.” (Matthew 10:39) While reading this passage of scripture, ask the Lord of the Harvest where He would like to send you out.
Want to get in touch?
Subscribe here to join our mailing list